Saturday, December 3, 2011

Marshall McLuhan

McLuhan and his Media Ecology ideas are somewhat confusing to me, I must admit. I'm a little worried about wrapping my head around this media ecology paper and getting his ideas correct. He was a fascinating man and it was amazing how he was able to predict the internet: a system of connected ideas and mediums. It made me sad that no one in his day really believed him. He predicted the end of the print newspaper, and we're starting to see that in our current day. McLuhan stressed that the medium of the media really affected how we interpreted that said media. Examples of this would be watching TV versus reading an article, and storytelling through film versus the storytelling that happens in the youtube world.
Media and the mediums it employs can create a "global village" and McLuhan sort of coined this term. Hopefully after learning more about McLuhan, I can see his work in the media that affects me daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment