Saturday, December 3, 2011

Digital Games & Pop Culture

The last section of our course has been dedicated to video gaming and how it relates to popular culture. I have been pleasantly surprised at every class meeting, and the video game meetings are shaping up to do the same.

I was shocked that the gaming industry rivaled film and television. It makes sense, but it's still pretty shocking considering how much money we're constantly told movies pull in at the box office in a single weekend. The gaming industry is also the fastest growing industry in the United States. The gaming industry is leading the way in new social environments, with online identities, new literary genres and new (somewhat adapted) languages. It was really surprising to find out that the average age of the gamer is 36. I can't really believe that, but perhaps that's because my younger brother has always been an avid gamer. He has a bunch of avid gamer friends and they're all around the ages of 16 to 17. I figured all or most of the gamers would be around his age. I didn't really think that the average age would round out at 36. I didn't think 67% of American households would play any sort of video game either.

The gaming industry has astounding power over it's consumers in the sense that it has the power to shape the narrative view of many young (and somewhat older) people.

No comments:

Post a Comment